The Paramount Chief of Weta Traditional Area, Torgbuiga Akpo Ashiakpor VI has inaugurated a thirty nine (39) member COVID-19 Response Committee to complement efforts of government of Ghana in the fight against the deadly virus in the Weta Traditional Area of the Ketu North Municipal Assembly in the Volta Region.
The committee comprises eminent chiefs, dumegawo (elders), assembly members and other opinion leaders from the Weta Traditional Area with a direct orders and supervision of Torgbuiga Akpo Ashiakpor VI who doubles as the President of Weta Traditional Council.
“We will like to state that despite the above named members, all chiefs in his/her jurisdiction of the traditional area is a direct focal point for the fight against this disease and therefore must liaise with the committee members in educating, reporting and enforcing the COVID-19 protocols by the government of Ghana.” – a statement copied LoudSilenceRadio.com and signed by Chairman of the Committee, Torgbui Awadada Esru IV, Domefiaga of Weta, Agbadomi has said.
According to the Chairman of the Committee, “These eminent chiefs, Dumegawo, Mamawo (Queen Mothers) and Elders represent the wide various areas under Weta Traditional Area which they have to oversee or control and report any development regarding COVID-19 pandemic to the state authority in timely manner.”
He noted that “The traditional authorities have noticed with grave concern that most people in the area either do not understand the magnitude and the danger COVID-19 disease has exposed to their lives or the public outcry about the disease do not resonate well with them.”, therefore, the committee members who have been evening the needed education on the COVID-19 will lead community education to fight the pandemic.
Speaking to LoudSilenceRadio.com, the Paramount Chief of the Weta Traditional Area, Torgbuiga Akpo Ashiakpor VI, said he is fully aware of the communal nature of most traditional areas in the Volta Region and perhaps Ghana where member visitation in times of ailments and crisis constitutes an integral part of the communal growth and harmony – a practice which he noted is not healthy in the case of the COVID-19.
“You know how communal our society is. When someone is ill or in some kind of difficulty, you have to pay a visit to console with the victim which helps us grow as a community. However, this COVID-19 situation is different and one of the reasons why I have tasked the Committee to lead community education for our people to be aware of that practice and its dangers as far as this period is concerned” Torgbuiga told LoudSilenceRadio.com
Torgbuiga has since established Weta Traditional Area COVID-19 Community Response Fund with a initial fund allocation of GHc2,000.
Read the full statement:
We write to introduce the committee of eminent chiefs, dumegawo, assembly members and other opinion leaders which has been constituted by direct orders and supervision of Torgbuiga Akpo Ashiakpor VI, President and Paramount Chief of Weta Traditional Area to aid in the government of Ghana’s effort in fighting COVID-19 in Weta Traditional Area of the Ketu North Municipal Assembly in the Volta Region.
The committee includes;
- Torgbui Awadada Esru IV (Domefiaga) – Weta, Agbadomi (Chairman)
- Torgbui Atsiflam III (Miafiaga) –Weta (Secretary)
- Torgbui Ashiagbor IV (Dusifiaga) – Weta (Communication Director)
- Torgbui Gbordzor VII – Weta, Klenormadi (Financial Secretary)
- Mama Nuworza II, Weta, Tadzewu-Dalame (Treasurer)
- Torgbui Zormelo III – Weta, Atiteti (Treasurer)
- Torgbui Awlimetenu – Weta, Adrume (Member)
- Torgbui Weshigbe – Weta, Adzortsi (Member)
- Torgbui Dzakpasu III – Weta, Dzakpasukofe (Member)
- Torgbui Akuina III – Weta, Avalavi – Kpeyibor Kofe (Member)
- Torgbui Hanyrah III – Weta, Xife (Member)
- Torgbui Gbedela – Weta, Devego (Member)
- Mama Gatukpedzi – Weta, Ehi (Member)
- Torgbui Kpegla, Weta, Devego (Member)
- Torgbui Agbozokutu III, Weta, Torkpo (Member)
- Regent Zoryiku II, Weta, Tadzewu-Dalame (Member)
- Regent Aforve – Weta, Ehi (Member)
- Mrs Christine Tettegah (Social Worker/Philanthropist) – Weta, Agbledomi
- Michelle Fadina (Medical Practitioner) – Weta, Dekpor-Horme (Member)
- Hanua Adeye, Weta, Ehi-Huive (Member)
- Hanua Kporsuglo – Weta, Avalavi (Member)
- Hanua Bedzo – Weta, Tadzi (Member)
- Megbeda Emmanuel Dadadzogbor – Weta, (Chief Protocol)
- Francis Agbokemey (Youth Chairman) – Weta, (Member)
- Dumega William Akrobotu – Weta, Avalavi (Member)
- Fiamegbeda & Former Regent Christian Ashiakpor – Weta, (Member)
- Elder Franklyn Atsu Amegatsey – Weta (Member)
- Elder Mawufemor Korbla Nornyibey – Weta, Ehi (Member)
- Edwin Gawugah – Weta (Member)
- Derek Ahiatroga (Assemblyman) – Weta, Adzortsi (Member)
- Osorfo Midawo Galley Alorgbodzi (Traditionalist) – Weta Agbadomi (Member)
- Fiator Dumega Agbozi Sokpor – Weta, Adidome (Member)
- Dumega Dogbey Agbale – Weta, Agbadomi (Member)
- Dumega Besavi Fiaxodu – Weta, Gbegbekofe (Member)
- Famous Gada (Assemblyman) – Weta, Avalavi (Member)
- Elder Pastor Kwadzo Gbeve (Pentecost Pastor) – Weta, Adidome (Member)
- Hunor Soexede Deanu – Weta, Torvi (Member)
- Hunor Edem Gablah – Weta, Dalame – Tadzewu (Member)
- Zikpuitor Etse Asinyo – Weta, Devego (Member)
We will like to state that despite the above named members, all chiefs in his/her jurisdiction of the traditional area is a direct focal point for the fight against this disease and therefore must liaise with the committee members in educating, reporting and enforcing the COVID-19 protocols by the government of Ghana.
These eminent chiefs, Dumegawo, Mamawo and Elders represent the wide various areas under Weta traditional area which they have to oversee or control and report any development regarding COVID-19 pandemic to the state authority in timely manner.
The traditional authorities have noticed with grave concern that most people in the area either do not understand the magnitude and the danger COVID-19 disease has exposed to their lives or the public outcry about the disease do not resonate well with them.
The committee has been charged;
- To traditionally report on the general and valid information on the conditions of COVID-19 disease in the traditional area.
- To help identify and earmark places as an isolation centres within the Weta kingdom and recommend same to the COVID-19 team of government of Ghana.
- To educate the indigenes of the traditional area to strictly adhere to social distancing and other COVID-19 guidelines and protocols.
- To monitor, educate and advise indigenes on restrictions of public gathering such as funerals and burials, weddings, family gatherings, traditional and religious activities or festival celebrations and its associated dangers to their lives and others.
- To ensure that adjudication of disputes or matters in the various palaces, follows social distance protocols. However, cases that have no emergency situations should be suspended until further notice.
- To ensure and extend vigilance to the communities to enhance surveillance on foreigners from Togo, Benin, Nigeria and Niger who are finding refuge in the area through unapproved routes around Dzodze and Aflao. These offenders must be reported to the municipal COVID-19 team for quarantine and further actions.
However, the True Tiger Torgbuiga Akpo Ashiakpor VI has also launched Weta Traditional Area COVID-19 Community Response Fund with a fund allocation of Gh2,000.00. He also encourages the indigenes as well as the general public to support the fund with cash, PPEs, Hand Sanitizers, Liquid Soaps, Tissue Papers, Veronica Bottles and Water to enable the committee assist in the government of Ghana’s effort in fighting the COVID-19 disease.
All public addressing systems in the various towns, communities and villages of the traditional area will be utilized frequently to address and educate the area on the Dos and Don’ts regarding COVID-19 disease.
The traditional area has also officially created and launched blog page as an online mouth piece for reporting the true development and happenings regarding COVID-19 disease with the link
Other official information and updates can also be accessed on Weta Youth Association WhatsApp page and Torgbuiga’s official Facebook page with the link
TORGBUI AWADADA ESRU IV (DOMEFIAGA)
AWADADA OF WETA TRADITIONAL AREA WETA.
Contacts: 0242242320 / 0244462162 / 0240184189
- Torgbuiga Akpo Ashiakpor VI (President & Paramount chief of Weta Traditional Area)
- Ketu North Municipal Assembly
- All Media Houses