Mason Greenwood has withdrawn from England’s provisional Euro 2020 squad due to an underlying injury, his club Manchester United have confirmed.
Greenwood had been selected by English coach Gareth Southgate in a provisional 33-man squad for the upcoming tournament, but there had been doubt over whether he would remain in a final 26-player group that is set to be confirmed later on Tuesday.
“Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood has withdrawn from the provisional England Euro 2020 squad, in order to recover fully from an underlying injury that also kept him out of the Under-21 European Championship in March,” a club statement said.
“Mason’s club appearances were managed carefully to maintain his availability through the intensive 2020/21 Premier League and Europa League schedules.
His last call up to the English National Team was characterized with some story of him and Phil Foden bringing ladies to their room at a time there was a restriction on having visitors due to the Covid.
Notwithstanding, the talented teenager was selected by Southgate as part of his provisional squad.
However, after selecting Greenwood in his provisional squad, Southgate had said the incident of Mason entertaining ladies in his room during his last call up was “absolutely” in the past and that he had “moved on” from it.
Greenwood’s withdrawal increases the chances of Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins being selected as a third striker in Southgate’s squad, behind captain Harry Kane and Everton forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin.